CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 18, 2008

Thing 2-Library 2.0

As a person 40+ years of age, I am fascinated, confused, and somewhat concerned about L2. I am learning so much already about the potential of the web. I do take longer to do the lessons in 23 Things than my younger coworkers. I do homework. I am very busy so don't have time to play like I want.

I understand how some of the programs might be applied in the library system. And I understand that libraries have a responsibility to offer up to date information in an up to date format. However, I am concerned about the lack of face to face social interaction that is lacking in these formats. It seems to me that young technologically advanced people are starting to lose social skills. And social skills are a form of knowledge. There needs to be a balance of interaction.

As an officer in my library union, I also am concerned about future staffing requirements. Will reference librarians soon be replaced by IT personnel? Will library circulation become obsolete? Rendering circ librarians to become obsolete? As our director once said in a television interview, "The beauty of it is, technology means fewer staff."

0 comments: